Independence Day?

It was a scorching day. There was no wind, and I could not even take a single breath freely. I was sitting in a railway coach, that was probably made for 40 people, but 200 were sitting in it. I don't know why, but suddenly one day, Abba Jaan told us to pack our stuff as fast as we can, because we were going to a new place. And just like that, I had to leave behind me all of my life. I wonder if our Cow still waits for me to stroke it's head or the leaves of the tree in the center of our small villages still shake due to the wind as if dancing in their rhythm. I wonder what Khala was doing or how was Abdul without me.

The train stopped at a place where there was nothing. I looked at my Ammi's face; she had a look of fear on her face. There were men outside our train, with weapons that I have seen Abba use sometimes while hunting the wild boars out of the village. I looked towards my father for some assistance, but to no avail. Seems like being an adult gives you no new wisdom. There was a certain tension in the surrounding and silence crept into our compartment. I think everyone was as afraid as my parents. The people outside looked dangerous, with their faces covered with clothes. I don't why, but nothing was happening. Everyone was silent, and nothing seemed to move.

I don't know for how much time we were there, but now I was feeling hungry. Haseena, who was six months old was still trying to suck out the last drop of milk from my Ammi's breast. Ammi looked tired, and abba looked tensed. I was also thirsty, but I decided not to bug my parents much. I tried to hide my pain, but Ammi seemed to notice it and gave me the last piece of bread that we had with us. I waited.


It was past sunset, and we were still waiting. I don't know what these people wanted from us, but it felt like we were here forever. I was thirsty; Haseena was crying in my Ammi's arms. Someone else was crying fanatically in our coach.  I wonder why adults cry, my Ammi and Abba never seemed to do so. I wanted to get up and run, but there was no space to stretch your feet. We were sitting close to the urinals, and the stench was disgusting,  I already feel dizzy. We had no water left with us. We were thirsty and crying. But there was nothing anyone could do. I waited.


Another sunset occurred, I don't remember what happened throughout the day. Haseena has also stopped crying, maybe because it was too much for her.  The small child realized that it was not worth it. I wonder when Adults will recognize the same. Its been a full day without water. We were thirsty and hungry. The smell didn't seem to matter now. I could barely feel my body, let alone the senses. I waited.

It was another sunrise, all of us were nearly dead. I could see the people outside drinking water each drop going down their throats. I wonder if hunger felt differently for different people. Maybe they felt a lot hungry than us. I was humming "pani" as slowly as I could. My father seeing no other option was forced to make us drink his urine. I was glad to have at least something. My senses were to numb to feel something. I drank it without sensing anything. The sun was approaching the horizon, and I couldn't keep my thoughts. I waited.

Another sunrise, we were still there, with a lot of heat, overcrowded coach, with people outside, but no food or water. I looked at Abba; he seemed numb with a pale face. He knew I was not able to feel anything. He took out his revolver, kept on Ammi's head while she was sleeping, and BANG. There was blood all over us. No one in the coach bothered to do anything, as most of them were already either dead or unconscious.  I don't know if Haseena was alive, my father ensured she wouldn't be. He put the revolver on her tiny head and BANG. It was my turn now. I was happy. My wait was over, finally.  I could feel the cold revolver against my cold head. BANG. That was it.

Just please don't ask me how I know this when I tell you that Abba couldn't kill himself, because he decided to bear the guilt of his doings. He freed us but kept himself in chains, as he wanted to feel the soil of Hindustan, the free land, and join its army. He bore the pain till the end of his life.

You may be wondering what happened to train. It started its journey an hour after Abba killed us.


The partition resulted in the displacement of more than 1,40,00,000 people. Make sure you count all the zeroes. More than 10 lakh deaths occurred, and many such trains were stopped on both sides of the border. We gained Independence but with a cost, we can never forget. The story mentioned above is based on some such accounts of partition. 




Comments

  1. It's really left a mark on my heart. Great work Pravesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like your writings....good going bhaiya...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminded me of Khushwant Singh's Train to Pakistan. Touched me on the same level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Actually I was inspired by the same novel to write this fiction.

      Delete

Post a Comment